Thursday, February 25, 2010

Jules

Just moments ago, Jules the rat passed away in my arms. I found him lying in an uncomfortable position on the wheel in his cage. Normally he lays in a hammock or a hanging cube. He never even used the wheel, only Vincent does. I knew immediately something was wrong, his breathing was shallow. I picked him and cradled him. Seconds later he took his last breathe.
Jules arrived with his best friend, Vincent. Jules was 2 to 2 and half years old. He was severely underweight, arthritic, blind and had chronic respiratory problems. His breathing was labored and wheezy when he arrived. After antibiotics and nebulizing the wheezing and rattly sound went away, but he always had difficulty with breathing. Dr.T diagnosed him with having scarring on/in his lungs from so many URI's all his life. He had a great appetite and loved bananas and baby cereal. I knew he wouldn't be with us for very long. I still wasn't prepared for today being the day. Good-bye Old man Jules.

No comments: