Tuesday, June 5, 2007

A tortoise in the road?

First of all I want to say that Sweetie's spay went really well :) She started eating and drinking right away when we brought her home and her incision site is almost already healed up. I am so pleased with how well it went.
Our Kitty, Jade ( with renal failure) is doing okay. She has lost some more weight , she is so thin and bony. She is started to pee all around the house too, I am doing my best to find all her "spots" in the house and clean it up really well. I know it is not her fault, she is very sick. She is still active, sleeps with Ray and I at night, eats a can of food in the morning and at night, her appetite is excellent, most days she wants to steal our food. We give her tidbits of what we are eating, we figure at this point in her life, it can't hurt her and we want her to get the best of her days. But I know she would steal an entire hamburger from us and gobble the whole thing up and I am sure it would make her sick to her stomach so we stop her from doing that. Considering that she is still eating great , drinking well, and also affectionate and energetic we know that it is not time yet ..... time for her to be at peace. When she declines to the point where she is not eating, or laying about all the time, or hiding from us, that's when we'll know she is suffering too much. I do dread the day that will happen...
Pinkie the guinea pig is doing so much better still on the Lasix medication. It helped her heart disease so much. She is enjoying life with Mom, Dawn, and her guinea pig girlfriend, Abby.
We have a new arrival here, a Russian Tortoise I named Leroy. Someone found Leroy about to cross Union Road near Cayuga. She told me she had to dodge a motorcycle to save this poor tortoise, and save him she did! I am certain a tortoise never would have made it safely across Union. Leroy's savior couldn't keep him, she wasn't prepared or able to keep a tortoise indoors and provide him with the tank and heat light and UV light he needs. I searched all papers and web sites to see if someone in the area is missing their tortoise and I also posted that a tortoise was found and where , but I am certain that whoever previously owned Leroy just didn't want him anymore, and let him go. I'll have a vet appointment for him real soon make sure he is healthy and parasite free, then he'll be up for adoption. So far, he has had a real healthy appetite, he has been eating broccoli, romaine, collared greens and kale. I'll keep adding different types of greens and veggies to his diet, variety is best for these herbivores. That was a close call for Leroy though. Good thing a caring animal lover was there to save him in the nick of time.

No comments: