Monday, March 10, 2008

Benjamin and Bonding

This morning little Benjamin bunny, who is a dark brown colored mini rex rabbit, went in to be neutered. He went through it with flying colors, the vet techs let me know that he even ate a carrot while still at the clinic waiting for me to pick him up, it was so nice of them to feed him what he likes :) Once I got him home and released him into his pen, he started to eat hay and drink from his water bottle, it seems like he will heal up from the procedure without a problem. Soon I will give him his Metacam , which is a pain med and anti inflammatory to help him feel more comfortable.
Our adoptable Bunny, Willis, continues to show an attitude and cage aggression. Although I do not mind and can handle an unruly bunny , I know this will make him a difficult bunny to place... and it has me thinking. River the bunny is now all healed up from her spay surgery, she is about the same size as Willis. I am wondering if it will be beneficial to attempt to bond the two together. Of course a bonded pair of rabbits is a wonderful thing, they will never be lonely and there is nothing more heartwarming then two rabbits grooming each other and using each other as pillows. The only fact that holds me back from bonding our rescues is that single rabbits find homes easier and faster than two bonded rabbits. Most people are looking to adopt one rabbit, not two. But if Willis finds solace with a bonded partner, and it improves his attitude then I see nothing but good results from it. And if it takes many months to years for them to find a good home, then it will have to be. Bonded rabbits should never be separated, and rabbits are happier in pairs anyway. Now we'll have to see if they will warm up to each other and bond, there is the tricky part.. maybe it will be love at first sight?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cannot say enough about the joy of a bonded pair of buns! Rachel, your Elso and Pugsley are so adorable together. They sleep in the cage that Santa brought. During the day they have "hop hop time" in a puppy playpen in the office with me while I work. They have each other, stuffed animals, a slinky (a favorite), a hay ball, hanging veggy balls...I cannot imagine only having one bun. The guilt would be too much.

Just call me if someone is iffy about taking two buns instead of one - haha!

You are doing wonderful work. We tell everyone about you.

Thanks!

Anita