Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Lola and Luna and Huge Flood!




Today has been crazy in all sense of the word.
One great thing did happen today though, Lola and Luna the hamsters found a wonderful home. Lola had a litter here at Life Long Tails, she came to us already pregnant because she was housed with other males. We kept her with her only daughter from the litter that we named Luna. They got along well, Lola being the older and larger hamster tended to push Luna around , but they cuddled and slept together. Just recently the tables turned, Luna started to push around her Mom, although it hasn't escalated to anything serious I did warn their new family about their antics. They are more than willing to separate them if they start to fight and bite each other , for now they just bicker. When hamsters fight it can be deadly serious. Lola and Luna are campbell's dwarf hamsters, and within a family group, can be housed together. Sometimes though, as time passes, fights can break out within a group. If fighting is occurring, action needs to be taken. Syrian hamsters should never be housed together no matter what. They are strictly solitary, once they fully mature, a cage mate will be a rival to destroy.
The craziness that happened today... well ....I flooded our kitchen , A lot, Badly! We have a hose that hooks up to the kitchen sink to syphon out water from our fish tank in the living room. I hooked it up and started to clean the tank, I have done this hundreds of times, I am sure. What I didn't do was clear out the sink , a step I usually take. There was a dish still in the sink that blocked off the drain. So water started to overflow out of the sink. Since I was in the living room cleaning the tank, I was oblivious, probably for 10 to 15 minutes as this was happening. There was a huge amount of water in the kitchen! Thankfully Ray was home and he kept a cool head, he got the shop vac and started sucking up all the water. We had to move the stove, the fridge and everything. Then I wiped the floor clean with bleach since that was all fish water, and cleaned the counters. The worst part of it was that it leaked into the basement, so our carpeted floor down there is pretty wet, plus the ceiling tiles got wet and may stain :( No animals were harmed , everyone stayed dry, except Ray and I. And the fish are okay too. I am so glad and lucky to have Ray, he took this really well, since this wasn't just a little water or a puddle, it was a flood. I will never make that mistake again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't feel like the "Lone Ranger" Rachel.....I've done that too, and I know several other people who have. I ruined some ceiling tiles, but water only dripped down on a big table I do crafts on, so luckily the carpet stayed dry.