Monday, May 18, 2009

Kayla




Kayla is very special and dear to me. She arrived at Life Long Tails Small Pets-Big Hearts already pregnant. One night she started labor, she squeaked, whined and convulsed in pain. The vets were already closed and after a couple hours of listening to her and feeling awful for her, I was debating whether or not to take the route of the emergency vet. Guinea pigs should give birth within a half hour to an hour. Somehow, I mistakenly fell asleep. I woke up at 8AM and found Kayla still in contractions and a still born baby in the cage. I called our primary vet and they told me to bring her right in. I grabbed the carrier and just as I was about to pick her up, she pushed out a baby. This one was alive. Then two stillborns came out right after. After another couple hours it was obvious something was wrong with the one baby. He should have already been up and walking, but he wasn't. I then brought Kayla's baby to the vet. He was diagnosed with a spinal injury, and despite hand feedings and Kayla's mothering, he passed away 2 days later :( Kayla lost all her babies, and we also could have lost her. It is one of the many reasons why I am completely against breeding. You could be risking lives. It is easy to not breed, do not place boys and girls together, ever. Kayla never should have been pregnant and put through all that pain. Over the following weeks, Kayla recovered her happiness and strength. She returned to her hungry and spirited self. Ray and I enjoyed spending time with her on the couch. She would melt right next to us and lay there, taking in the attention we lavished on her. Her Big day arrived, she was adopted by a wonderful family who has adopted guinea pigs from us before. they still have their piggy family and they were looking to add another girl. I couldn't have asked for a better home and family than them. I am very happy for Kayla :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "Red Lake Rosie's Rescue: Pet Haven adoptions of Red Lake dogs!" to our Directory of Pets . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory and get a huge base of visitors to your website.


Warm Regards

Petgarden.info Team

http://www.petgarden.info