Thursday, March 8, 2007

taking the troops to the vet

Yesterday I took nine pets to the vet yesterday, I had six carriers with me. It just happened that I was of of work, and our primary vet had two openings and a cancellation. I took Sugar the rat, Pinkie the guinea pig, the three baby bunnies, two parakeets, Bella the ferret, and a society finch. I decided it was time to put Sugar down, she has been suffering with tumors. We initially had her tumors removed, she had four. But then another tumor grew in, this one on her stomach and it was inoperable. She had a couple more grow in , and it came time when I knew she wasn't enjoying life anymore. She wasn't snuggling in her fleece like she used to, and not eating as much. She was such a sweet girl and we do miss her a lot. Pinkie was surrendered to us about five months ago, she had a severe case of Seborrhea, an oily skin condition that caused a lot of fur loss on her. Our vet gave us a medicated shampoo, and a lot of her fur has grown back in, but she still has some baldness, so I brought her in for a follow up. Dr.T believes some more fur may come in over time, but she may always have baldness, there as permanent damage to the hair follicles. Her seborrhea is A WHOLE lot better, her skin is in great condition, so there isn't any reason why she cannot be adopted at this point. Her new Mom or Dad will just have to love her despite her bald patches on her back, and I am sure she will be loved she is a lover herself. Bella had her distemper shot and she did great. We found out that the bunnies are two boys and one girl, they are now in their own separate cages to stop any pregnancy and fighting. I've named one boy Zachary, and the girl Envy, now to think of one more boy name.
Also, Bella has been adopted. She now has a playmate, another girl ferret that is her same age, 4 years old. And she has a Mom and Dad, a young engaged couple that love animals and their pets. Way to go Bella, she has a good life:)

No comments: