Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Two vet trips in two days


The two litters of hamsters will be old enough by next week to be on their own and by then I will have them separated by gender. They all seem quite friendly too. Most of them are the standard brown coloring , but their is one PEW, pink eyed white.

Momma rat , Poinsettia, is taking great care of her babies. They are developing, i can see fur coming in, and I can tell which ones will be darker and which ones will be lighter. Her other group of babies are doing wonderfully, I took some nice pictures of them. They are nervous but are coming along nicely, I know they'll calm down in time and become more bold and curious.

Yesterday I took Blaze and the three baby rabbits rescued from the backyard rabbit breeder in to see Dr.Fijas. We looked over Blaze first, he developed a bald spot on his back. Turns out he does have guinea pig lice. He now has been treated with Revolution to kill off the lice and even treat any mites if there are any. The babies all are healthy and it turns out we have two boys and a girl. The Holland lop is a boy and so is the white one with what I would call Siamese markings. And the really fluffy one which I am not sure if she is an angora or a jersey woolly or a cross between both is a definite girl. They are now separated accordingly. I know I'll probably have to separate the boys in time as they mature ,they may get aggressive towards each other, especially before we get them neutered. They have to be at least 12 weeks old before they can be altered.

Today I took Stanley the dwarf hamster and Americana the ferret to see Dr.T. Stanley had a huge lump on his mouth that just ballooned in size very quickly. The lump is an abscess. Dr.T drained from it was he could, yucky cheesy looking stuff that smells bad. And a direct quite from Dr.T " I love popping hamster zits the morning." Although this wasn't a zit he describes the draining being similar to popping a zit. Stanley is also now on Baytril and antibiotic to hopefully combat the infection and get rid of the abscess all together. Dr.T wants to see him back in one week and if their isn't any reduction in the abscess, then Stanley will need to have the infection removed surgically. I took in Americana just to have her medically looked over. When I play with her and watch I see a happy, healthy young girl... but a lonely girl too. She recently lost her best friend, Kodiak, to Lymphoma. I tried bonding her and our 6 year old ferret , Bandit to her but it didn't work. Bandit has always been by himself, and he is sickly with deteriorating insulinoma, so he didn't want to have anything to do with the energetic bouncy Americana. I would love to see Americana go to a ferret loving home, preferably with some one who has a single ferret that is also lonely and looking for a friend. So, I wanted Dr.T to assure me that she is healthy enough to be re homed. He told me she is fairly Young and her spleen is the perfect size and her lymph nodes are perfect. I told him that she does itch a lot and this could either be allergies or the beginnings of Adrenal disease which is common in ferrets but is treatable. All in all, she is healthy enough, so I'd like to see what I can do for her. I'd hate to see her go, but I must keep her best interests at heart. It could be a long time before any more ferrets arrive here, and even so, they may not take to Americana. Somewhere out there there is a lonely ferret and a person that is perfect for this little girl.

I'll include a picture of Noel, one of the baby rats from Poinsettia's first litter.. and her only daughter from that bunch.

No comments: