Friday, December 28, 2007

Things?

One of my pet peeves is when someone has a pet and they always call their pet "it" or "thing" If you know know your pet is male or female , say "she" or "him" or better yet, use their name. I can understand if you don't know your pet's gender yet and you haven't thought of a name, OK, understood. Even so , most pet lovers use a temporary, universal, nickname like "honey" or "Sweetie." When I here someone say , " Oh that thing over there, it smells and eats too much, it's getting on my nerves." or even if used in a nice way " I give it treats everyday and clean it's cage." to me it sounds like the person doesn't have much regard for their pet, or even a relationship. When people use the terms "thing" or "it" I get the impression the pet is just there or a possession and not really all that liked or loved, and definitely not a part of the family. I could be totally wrong in my theory and feelings, but it is just how I feel when I hear someone speak of their pet that way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Rachel....I hate to hear people refer to pets as "it". I think it shows no regard, also.
But I've even known people who refer to babies as "it". I don't know what's going on with people any more.
Glad those bunnies were adopted.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you all the way.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you all the way! ALL of my hamsters have names, even babies that are not staying but going to new homes! and I know them all by name as well! it and that and thing is just sad. even my father has a little better name, he calls them all "the rats" but I know its not in a bad way, if somethings wrong hes the first to pannic. I rescued a preg female before and she wasnt doing good with her babies so he got a heaing lamp and everything for them! I'd never call any animal it! :(