Friday, August 8, 2008

Losses over the week




I don't know why, but this week turned out to be tragic. 3 of the adult guinea pigs that came from the 50 plus abandonment "case" passed away. First we found out that, Zelda, an adult male that was in foster care was found , gone, in his cage. He didn't show his foster family any signs of bring ill, in fact he had been eating and playing cheerfully right before. Then I received a call from our board member , Christine, who is fostering the majority of these guinea pigs, that her boy, Sherwood had stopped eating. She was on her way to taking him to the emergency vet. It was found that his gut mobility had stopped and needed some help with getting his gut going again. She was instructed to force feed him Critical Care. In the meantime, I had piled hay, veggies and pellets in with all the piggies I have. And I love to watch as they bull dose their way in and start chomping away. Except I noticed Phoebe wasn't eating and was hiding in the back corner. I grew very worried, so I took her out of the cage to separate her from all the pigging out females and let her easily get at her own food. I provided her with hay, pellets, apple, carrots and Kale , and she didn't touch any of it. So , I then tried force feeding her critical care. But she wouldn't take it , wasn't even attempting to chew or swallow. So I stopped , I didn't want her to wind up taking the food the wrong way if I forced it too much. I kept her warm and then woke myself up at exactly 8 AM when our vet opened, only to find that Phoebe has passed during the night. The foster Mom's and myself are devastated and heart broken. We want so much to help every one, but when this happens, it crushes us.
Here are pigtures of Phoebe and Zelda.

No comments: