Friday, August 8, 2008

Too Costly?

I've been thinking on a matter a lot. What I hear a lot is; "My hamster has a problem but I'm not taking him to the vet , it costs too much" or even " I'm not spending 50 dollars on a 10 dollar hamster." Each time I hear these words I literally wince in pain , and think of that poor suffering hamster that may never get treatment or get better. And there are many people who have this mentality about all sorts of pets, reptiles, rabbits, parakeets,etc. I just can't bear it, and that is the main reason why I started a rescue for the little pets, because many times they don't get the treatment and care that they do deserve. Life Long Tails is a safe haven for all little ones, where they get the best foods, treats, toys etc and if they arrive here with a medical problem or develop one we will get them to the vet for prompt treatment, we don't even think of the costs, we want them treated and get to feeling better. Donations and adoption fees help us a lot with achieving this goal.
What I have also thought about is the fact that people are always willing to drop a lot of money to fix a car or add onto a car. Many people don't even think twice to do so, and this can be a lot more expensive than a vet visit! Hundreds to thousands of dollars into a car, a machine. but when it comes to their pet who is living and feeling a vet costs too much. *insert angry face* I understand a car is needed in everyday life to get to point A to point B, but I don't see how a car gets better treatment, faster treatment and treatment in the first place where a pet doesn't. To me, that is completely wrong. That is my opinion, that is how I feel about each individual pet. They are regarded higher to me than any car, machine or leisure item and they will always receive treatment and I will always spend the money for their benefit over "items" or "novelties" That is what this rescue is about and everyone who is involved in this rescue whether your a board member, someone who has adopted, fostering or someone who supports us. Thank you for sharing and following in my passion and beliefs and train of thought :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say I feel exactly the same way. Fostering all the animals, on top of taking care of my own, I've come to find that the first thing I do every morning is head out to feed and clean everyone, before even thinking of myself. I mean, I spent 180 dollars on my 5 dollar rat without thinking twice.
I guess its just how we are :)

<3 Lisa

small pet rescue said...

Yes, exactly Lisa, that's why you are so wonderful :)
Just remember that you do have to take of yourself. You need to stay healthy in order to be able to take care of the pets. My Mom always reminds me of that , she makes sure I make and keep my doctor, dentist, etc appointments. Got to keep healthy for them.
What happened with your rattie? tumors?
See you soon, and I hope you can foster for us again.

Anonymous said...

no worries i'm taking care of myself!
but no the rat, Wilbur, broke his leg this past spring, but he is all better and healed perfectly :)

and yes, see you soon, and i'm looking forward to helping out someho when I come home over Christmas!

I'm going to miss the little furries so much!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe anyone would get a pet without being willing to do whatever it would take to help it be happy and healthy, no matter how small. Well, actually, I can believe it, but probably only because I have such little faith in humanity. When my wife and I woke up one morning to find our bunny shaking and refusing to eat we immediately rushed him to the vet emergency room (we knew he was recovering quickly, because he was very mellow for his first force feeding but after that he resisted quite fiercely). Thank goodness Orchard Park has a good vet hospital in it (and that we've only needed the emergency services once so far).
A broken leg on a rat? Poor little guy...