Sunday, October 12, 2008

Clay




I am not sure how many people would appreciate this pet story. Though I am sure many of you animal and pet lovers can relate and even find it slightly amusing. Today I decided to soak Clay the lizard in some luke warm water. Clay is a Mali Uromastyx lizard and he is our own family member, we have had home for about 6 years, before we even started rescuing. Right now he is shedding his skin, and he has always had difficulty with getting the skin off his back legs and toes. Soaking him in water helps loosen up the skin and get it to peel off. I placed just the right amount of water in a plastic container where he was able to lift his head up out of the water without a problem. He was very relaxed and content in the warm bath, so I decided to clean, Pasta, the hamster's cage. When I go back to check on Clay, I immediately notice that he is now sitting in GREEN water! You see, he was so relaxed and content in the warm water that it got his bowels going and he took a nice dump in the water. His diet is mainly fresh greens , that explains the color. He turned his nice soak into a toilet! I took him out and rinsed him off, placed him back in his enclosure where I gave him some more collared greens and Kale. Then I dumped his lovely concoction of water and poop in the basement sink. I guess the sudden green water is what shocked me the most.
Here are some overhead pictures of Clay. You can see his shedding progress in the pictures.
Take care everyone :) feel free to e-mail me some of your pet stories at rachel@lifelongtails.org or comment them in the Blog.

No comments: