Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Lotti, Cotton Candy and Butterscotch, 2 baby turtles




Last week a few guinea pigs found their loving homes. Butterscotch is a beautiful cream and white colored female piggie. She was staying at Foster Mom, Andrea's, home until her adoption day arrived. I wish I had a picture of her to post since she is a drop dead gorgeous girl. Maybe her new Mom will provide us with a picture of her. Later that same day, the two guinea pigs, Cotton Candy and Lotti also went home :) Lotti is a black and white girl and Cotton Candy ( I should say Cotton Candy 2 since we also had another Cotton Candy who was a guinea pig, he was adopted only a couple months ago) is a calico colored girl. They have a great Mom and dad now. Dad is the first man I have met that likes to talk baby talk to the guinea pigs. I think it is great, more guys should show their soft side to the little furry ones. I do have pictures of Cotton Candy 2 and Lotti.
2 baby turtles arrived, I have named them Micro and Mini. They came with the names Keegan and Sarah, but I have renamed them since we aren't sure Sarah is truly a girl. I think it is fitting for these tiny ones, I am so used to the large turtles. Micro is having problems though, and he arrived with this problem. It seems he tilts his neck and head back ( as if he can't help it) then he leans back so far he falls backward, at this point he starts to spin and twirl uncontrollably. It's very distressing to see, I have him accomodated where he is spinning less but he still lays with his head tilted back. When he goes to grab food his head moves back and forth, making him miss his target again and again. His appetite is there but with his swaying and bobbing head , it makes catching and eating food difficult for him. Last night he did accomplish catching some gammarus shrimp on his own and did swallow some. A few times he caught the food, but then lost the food out of his mouth before he could chew and swallow. Normally spinning in the red eared or any aquatic turtle is associated with a URI or pneumonia, but as I watch Micro's symptoms, they appear to be almost neurological in nature. Of course, I am not a vet. He does have a vet appointment on Saturday, then I'll have a better idea as to what is wrong, and I hope we can help him out. I video taped his abnormal actions on the digital camera, I will show Dr.T the videos so we don't have to succumb Micro to anymore spinning just so Dr.T can see the symptoms himself. Mini the baby red eared slider is perfectly well, he swims like a champ and eats like a horse.

No comments: