Thursday, April 5, 2007

helping the fish

Some of you may already know that I work in a fish department at a fish store. Yesterday someone wanted their water sample tested and proceeded to tell me how he has this large fish that is much too big for his tank and too aggressive. I asked him what kind of fish it is, and he didn't know. But then he went on and told me that it was too large to flush down the toilet so he was going to "throw it out in the garbage." My eyes widened and I was shocked and dismayed. I pleaded with him to not do that and that I'd take the fish in. I worked again today so he brought in the fish. It is a full grown beautiful parrot cichlid that I named chubbs. He'll be placed on Petfinder to find a great home soon. In the meanwhile he has a place in our 75 gallon tank.
Also today a customer was buying new fish for his 10 gallon tank. And he wanted a plecostomus. I told him straight out that this fish would grow way too large for his tank. He then said " I'll just get rid of it at that point." why are fish so badly treated and easily tossed aside and thrown away by people? It's sad and infuriating to me. I care about fish and all animals, when I hear about or am faced with this train of thought and treatment of pets It just hurts me. I guess that is what has lead me into rescuing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe what I'm reading. I haven't even met you yet. I have had a profession career in salt water keeping and have years and years experience in freshwater as well. Two of my most beloved fish were parrot ciclids "Patch" and "Bull" I loved them dearly and lost them to ICK in my boyfriend's tank. I sobbed like a baby for hours!!!
Rachel, I can't wait to meet you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,
I tried commenting back earlier but it didn't work, so I'll try again.
We started out with a 20 gallon freshwater tank, but i soon wanted larger, and I wanted a 75 so badly. The husband finally said okay, and now it is my favorite tank. It has a strange mixture of fish in it. "sharks" , african cichlids, plecos, barbs, silver dollars, 2 koi,a parrot cichlid, etc. Many of this we aquired from people getting rid of fish and dropping them at the fish store I work at. That's how we got the koi, sharks and parrot cichlid. Now when I aquire any fish this way I'll do my best to find them a great home ( we are running out of room) and since we rescue now and have petfinder to help us we have found homes for 9 goldfish. We also have a 30 gallon pentagon set up and it has 3 goldfish in it that was left outside in a pail in February, they ar enow up for adoption. And we have a 10 gallon saltwater, my first salwater experience, and I am sad to say that the royal gramma basslet died yesterday :( I won't get too discouraged and give up but I hate the idea of "killing" ( not intentionally)anymore fish. the wate rparameters and specific gravity is okay, I am not sure what happened. he was the only fish in the tank besides the inverts. We really like and love fish here as much as we love the furries, scalies and feathered.
I am sorry to hear about your parrot cichlids, ich it tough. We battled it once in the 75 gallon.
sorry for any typos, I am typing over Motorman the cat who is on my lap.
okay, now to send *crosses fingers* that it sends this time
rachel