Saturday, April 21, 2007

Why would anyone do this?

I would love for anyone to comment on this issue I am about to write about. I have changed the comment settings so that anyone can leave a comment now. I would love to hear every one's opinion.
I was reading through a Reptile's magazine and came across an ad, it is a breeder that sells all types of aquatic turtles. As I read more, I became disturbed when I found out that this person is selling baby turtles that have no eyes and two heads. It seems that the person acquired ( whether by accident or not) these mutations and are now breeding them to make more turtles with the same genetic deformity. And is also asking for more money for these "special" babies. Now, I love and become attached to any pet with special need or deformities, I care for them and love them the same as any other. but any of the pets we have here with a "handicap" became that way by accident or happened to be born that way by accident. I feel strongly that to INTENTIONALLY breed so that the babies come out blind or with two heads just to make a few more bucks is completely wrong. I was so furious and disturbed by the whole thing. I'd let the remaining turtles live out their lives in peace and stop allowing them to breed to make more like themselves. I am sure life isn't easy for a blind or two headed turtle. I am against breeding all together, but this practice actually makes me feel ill. How does everyone else feel about this?

No comments: