Friday, February 8, 2008

Ms.Mouse and Play Gym

We went to the vet yesterday and saw Dr.T. We took one of the 4 female mice that we have up for adoption. When we arrived back home from Florida, I noticed a lump on the underside of one of the mice. I was afraid of this news, but it is a tumor :( Dr.T told me about how mice normally have malignant tumors that spread easily, that he could surgically removed the tumor but opening her up would mean the cancer will spread even faster if this is the case. Before Ray and I started rescuing we did have a mouse we named Rugby, loved that little mouse, such a darling. It was devastating when after having her for only 2 months she developed a tumor on her side. I quickly said yes to surgery, wanting her to be better and tumor free. Her sugery went well, Dr.T did a wonderful job of removing it all and stitching her back up. For a week she did great, she was active and healing up really nice... until another tumor started to grow on her back and then another under her forearm. These tumors appeared before her surgical site had even healed. She quickly went downhill, she started to have labored breathing and became lethargic. We took her to the vet and it turned out that the cancerous tumor had spread ( creating more tumors) and invaded her lungs. We opted to have her put to sleep at that point. I wished so many good things for Rugby, and it saddens me that it didn't work out that way.. she is pain free now. We have had tumors removed from hamsters and rats before , and for the most part these surgeries are successful. They heal up and live normal lives without another tumor popping up, or a long time passes before another one appears. The only case of more and more tumors popping up was a rat named , Sugar, she was an albino, red eyed. She came to us with 4 tumors, and we had all 4 removed. a Month later a tumor appeared on her foot, we also had that one removed. Next a tumor appeared on her stomach and unfortunately this one was surgically impossible to remove.. she developed more tumors before her quality of life wasn't good anymore and we decided to let her go. I guess I have made my deicision already, although I am still torn up about it. Since the survival and success rate of tumor removals on mice isn't good since the cancer spreads after surgery, we won't have Ms.mouse's tumor worked on. We will keep her comfortable with her sisters until it is time to let her go. I feel that is what is best for her. For hamsters or rats , or other pets, we will still go for the surgical treatment, unless age or illness won't allow the pets to be anesthesized without complications. So sorry little mouse, I wish it was different.
On a good note, with the help from Ray, I built a play gym for the mice and hamsters. It is a large plastic storage tote that I added a grid rack on the top for air flow. We attached wheels to the sides, and made holes on the top and sides and added tubes, hide-a-ways and towers. Inside I placed boxes, toys, chews and a climbing basket. It is completely enclosed to keep the cats OUT! which is a must for here, I never trust the cats with the little guys or the birds. That is just a rule in this house. Each day I have taken turns placing single hammies or groups of hammies that live together into the play gym and I enjoy watching them explore everything and have a great time in it :) It gives them more to their life than just being in their cage or an exercise ball . I do love spoiling them and enriching their days :)

No comments: