Thursday, July 26, 2007

Ace and Gizmo to the vet

Ace and Gizmo the peruvian piggies went to see Dr.Fijas today. They had a routine physical to make sure they are 100 percent healthy before going up for adoption. Dr.fijas checked their eyes, ears, teeth, listened to their heart and lungs and even checked them carefully for any lice. everything was great, and no lice! Yay! They are very healthy and Gizmo tipped the scales at 1330 grams! They do need some more socialization , they're still nervous about being handled. We will continue to give them out of cage time, and pet them and love them. And I am sure their new adoptive home will do the same.
2 ferrets arrived today. Americana and Kodiak, they are boy and girl, spayed and neutered, and six and a half years old. They will be staying with us, we will be a sanctuary/hospice for them. They both have cancer, Lymphoma. It is untreatable, Kodiak is on prednisone to help him feel better. Their owner is moving across country, and was much too afraid to take them with knowing how ill and "fragile" they are. We do not know how much time they have left, but we will provide their days with comfort and love. They are gorgeous. I promise to add pictures of Blender the chameleon and These precious ferrets real soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are so busy all the time! I wonder if you EVER get bored. I doubt it with all the small animals you have! I hope Americana, Kodiak, and Blender feel good soon. I just have one question: How do you take care and feed all the animals and take them to vet visits? Do you get much money when someone gets rid of an animal? Or do you have another job too? Im curious cuz when i get older i want to start a small animal rescue too. I love my 6 small animals and would like to help others too. Thanks!
Lyra

small pet rescue said...

Yes, we are busy all the time. I have a routine as far as cleaning, and who needs meds, when.. etc. I just know in my head , each day, who nees what.
Sometimes people will give us a donation when they surrender, but it isn't a requirement. We mainly get donations from adoption fees, and anyone who donates from their heart. We do have supporters who donate monthly. So far, donations have covered the costs of vet bills, but I know that food, bedding, etc, still come out of our own pocket. But that's okay, we are thrilled that we have enough support to pay the vet costs, even for spays and neuters for the bunnnies.
My husband and I do work full time also. I would love to go part time or even quit just so ican devote all my time and energy to Life Long Tails. But right now, that's impossible, without my job , there probably wouldn't be Life Long Tails. We stil have many bills and mortgage, all that stuff, plus the costs of bedding , food etc, that we pay for.
I've always knew that I wanted to help animals. And I am so glad my husband was with me and supportive when I said I wanted to start rescuing ( he is a HUGE help) There are days when it is tough, there just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day. But all in all, it is so worth it. We are still filling out the paperwork and forms to become incorporated and tax-exempt, which is a pain, because you want to focus entirely on the rescues, not paperwork for the government. But it will need to be done, and we are trying to achieve that status.
And if you ever get to where we are ( I am) one word of advice, always take some time out each day for yourself. Watch some TV, right now, I am reading Harry Potter : DH. Rescuing is fun and what you want to do, but if you don't take a little time out for you, it will wear you down.
I can go on and on, I am sure I can tell you more later on :)
Rachel

Anonymous said...

thanks that was big help! keep up the good work!