Tuesday, September 4, 2007

It was time


Yesterday, I worked in the morning and afternoon, I called hubby, Ray, on my lunch break. He told me that Jade was having a bad day, she couldn't get up and had peed on herself, I knew by his description of her that it wasn't just a bad day, it was time. Work let me leave early to see just how bad Jade was and for us decide what to do. When I got home and saw her I knew, I just knew. She still was trying to get around, she managed to get up into a somewhat standing position , take a few steps , then collapse on her side again , completely exhausted. The whole side of her was wet with urine. What was shocking was that she was in the bathroom with me that morning and had jumped up on the counter and licked water from the faucet! She deteriorated that quickly. You could tell that she didn't want to be that way, she didn't want to be peeing on herself, she was trying so hard to get up and walk and be okay. Since it was a holiday no other vets were open except the emergency vet, that is where we took her. I wrapped her in a towel and carried her and held her in the car, I felt it wasn't necessary and kind of a cold thing to do to place her in a carrier. We normally have our pets in carrier when we transport them or take them to the vet, but for Jade , I wanted to hold her. She purred and watched out the window, it was heartbreaking , but I knew it was right. In the waiting room Ray and I took turns holding her and kissing her. Then it was time. Right when her head dropped and I knew she was gone, I wanted to take back the decision,I cried.... but for her, it was the right thing, she was no longer happy or had a good quality of life. her kidneys had shut down, she would have only worsened. We went to my parent's house and my Mom and I cried about Jade and for Jade.
I'll make a tribute to Jade when I am up to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Im sorry but i bet Jade had a great life.

lyra