Thursday, April 17, 2008

Forgot Kringle and Yuletide, 11 baby bunnies
















I forgot an adoption from the post yesterday. Kringle and Yuletide the male rats were adopted :) They were the last two boys from Poinsettia's litters. Their new Mom and Dad are truly remarkable, they love lots of different pets , especially the rats. Kringle became an easy going, friendly, although plump and large rat. While Yuletide is slimmer, but nervous and skittish. With love , attention and patience I know that Yuletide will trust and love his new family and become an attention hog just like his brother.
All 11 baby bunnies went in to see Dr.Fijas today to find out who is boy and who is girl. Since I did have Treasure wrong, I thought she was a girl and he was actually a boy. Dr.Fijas showed me a while ago , how to tell them apart, but I am new to sexing bunnies, I am definitely not a pro at it yet. I am great with sexing guinea pigs, hamsters, rats and sugar gliders are easy, gerbils and degus are fairly easy to me too. I can tell most turtles and lizards as well. But bunnies are different, ( unless they are un neutered and their testicles have descended) young bunnies can look very much alike to the untrained eye. I hope to become trained and certain with sexing them very soon. Turns out I only had one mistake in the bunch. I had sexed them into groups of 8 boys and 3 girls. One of the boys was actually a girl, everyone else was right on! So, out of 12 bunnies I had two wrong, not too bad for my first time doing it myself. before this , I just took them right to Dr.T or Dr.Fijas to sex them for me. This time I tried first, then had Dr.Fijas find any mistakes. ( there isn't any room for mistakes with them, we want to ensure no more litters) The day will come where I can sex them with the ease I do with hamsters :) I separated their large pen enclosure with a grid partition, boys on one side girls on the other. The Mom's can be spayed real soon. And the babies can be fixed in another couple of weeks. Here is another picture of them within the first week of them arriving. I will take new pictures of them today, they have grown so much.

No comments: