Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Runt is no longer with us

I do not want to give this news, I am broken up and broken hearted. The little runt, Treasure, died today.. I had no idea he was even that sick or near ...death, he gave me no indication. a week ago I saw his eyes were closed and crusty. I had to help him open them up. I got him in to see Dr.T the next day, and he actually spent the day there while he ran X-rays and tests on him. The vet techs and asistants fell in love with him. Myself and My Mom did too. Everything was negetive for anything wrong with him, he didn't have any infections, nothing respiratory or anything wrong with hiseyes as far as complications or infections. Dr.T only found that his tear ducts don't produce tears the way they should, so they don't "wash" the eyes clean of gunk. So, I cleaned his eyes out with saline solution every day. his eyes started to look really good, he always had a great appetite, ate well, drank great, active , pooped like normal, normal breathing, etc I had separated him from all his siblings in case he was contageous, after I found out he wasn't I still kept him by himself until his eyes were in better shape. I was giong to put him back with his siblings today, he looked that good.. I never would have thought. I literally gasped in shock and sadness when i found him laying there today. I can't even say how much this hurts. I will be taking his little body to Seneca Animal Hospital tomorrow so Dr. Fijas ( Dr.T is on vacation) can do a necropsy, maybe we can find out more about what happened. We will still receive him back so we can bury him, we will place him right near Zachary and other bunnies like Melissa, Natalia and old man Butterscotch. The staff at the hospital will be very sad too, I am sure. I wish this was not a part of rescue, and I am glad it doesn't happen that often, but when it does it is hard to deal with and bounce back from.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about Treasure. He was a lucky little bun to have made his way to you.

My kids will be sad, too, as I showed them the pictures.

You did everything you could and he was loved.

Anita

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry too Rachel. You did your best. Take care. I'm sending a hug your way.