Tuesday, January 12, 2010

9 baby bunnies

Today we took in a rabbit that had just delivered babies in the morning. The babies were completely unexpected. There wasn't any preparation for the baby's arrival. The babies were born on the bottom of thecage where Momma was stepping on them and the babies were strewn all about. I upgraded Momma to a much larger living area so she can have room all to herself when she wants. And the babies are now in a box with Momma's fur as an insulator. I am hoping Mom goes to her babies even after the move and change. It is all I can do for her and her little ones right now, it was an urgent and desperate matter. They needed to come here and be moved. Let's keep our fingers crossed. I will update.
Nizzle's foster Mom says that Niz is in a great deal of pain today and reluctant to move. She is drinking well and eating food that is placed in front of her. She only wants to sleep. It is understandable after such invasive and major surgery. I will ask Dr.T tomorrow about any pain management she can have.

4 comments:

Heather Urbanski said...

I am the foster mother of the rabbit who gave birth on Jan 12, I am glad to have someone like the Murphy's to help out the momma and babies as much as possible, when ready I will be adopting momma and 2 of her bundle of joys, the daddy misses mommy and babies but is coping very well without them but is being very mopey. I will keep praying a keeping my fingers crossed for the little ones and momma, Sara I love you and hope I can come and see you and babies soon and return home to me and daddy, I know that the babies are well taken cared for. Thanks to the Murphy's. I forgot to tell you that I have the daddy who I am fostering also, he was the first rabbit I fostered and saw Sara on the computer and fell in love.

small pet rescue said...

Heather,
The babies are doing really well today. They are much better in a box that is keeping them in a warm pile. Sara is eating and drinking , and must be taking her Momma duties seriously, otherwise the babies wouldn't be as pink and active today. The foster cage you had at home just wasn't large enough for sara and babies, and the fact that she had them on the ground alarmed me. I knew the babies needed help.
Also, Sara will need to finish nursing and lactating before she can be spayed. Then it will be a week and a half to 2 weeks for her incision area to heal. After that she will be good as golden. And she will never get pregnant again. She will be retired from mothering. :)
Thank you for all your kind words and for fostering the little ones.

Heahter said...

Dear Racheal & Ray

Thanks for keeping me informed about the babies and mama, when I read you comment I started to cry happy tears, I am so glad to heare they are doing well and maybe we can make some kind of arrangement for me to visit in the next couple of weeks, I will be checking your blog on anymore postings, I might have a couple of people lined up to adopt the babies, I will keep you posted on updates and I know you will too. Thanks for all your help....love ya

small pet rescue said...

Hi Heather,
I hope this message gets to you. Both phone numbers I have for you didn't connect for me.
Sara and the babies are doing wonderfully. Sara has an appointment to be spayed on March 1st, on Monday. She will need 2 weeks to heal from her surgey before she can go back home with you. She will be getting pain meds and I will need to make sure her incision area is healing well.
The babies will be adoptable very soon. They are learning from Sara still, but are drinking from the water bottle and eating solid food, hay and pellets. They are no longer nursing.