Sunday, January 17, 2010

Daisy the guinea pig and the baby bunnies

I have good news and bad news.
All of the good news is about Daisy. Daisy is doing awesome today!!! She has been wheeking happily , doing laps in her cage and even doing what looks like popcorning. Although it looks a bit different probably because she is blind and because she is still overcoming the vitamin C difficiency She has been laying in other places in her cage than just in the same corner. And when she lays and sleeps, she looks a lot more comfortable, she stretches out and her breathing isn't labored. She is barely even itching, and I only see her chewing at her back end once in a while. She is still eating pellets and hay well. She still won't eat veggies for me. I wish she would at least eat the peppers with the vitamin C and she won't eat the tablets. I know the KM's pellets has vitamin C in it, but I know she needs more right now. I will pick up some cilantro for her tomorrow, I hope she will eat that. I saw a huge improvement in her today, she seems happier and more comfortable. I am so happy!

The bad news is about the baby bunnies. 4 of them have died. I don't know why. I know Mom bunny, Sara, has been feeding them, otherwise they wouldn't have made it this long and grown. I fear maybe recently , her body has stopped lactating. Either that or the remaining five bunnies were stronger and hogged all the milk at feeding time. I will be keeping a close eye on them. If any of them start to decline I may have to pull them away from Mom and start bottle feeding them. If Mom isn't producing milk anymore it will be their only chance. I do not want to jump the gun and pull them now. Especially if Mom has milk and is feeding them. ( Mom bunnies only feed their babies 2 or 3 times a day, and normally at night when we would be sleeping) The babies are best cared for by their Mom, and not me. It is a very touchy situation. I will only bottle feed if it is absolutely necessary and I know without a shadow of a doubt that it is what needs to be done.

No comments: