Saturday, November 17, 2007

More Hammies

9 dwarf hamsters were dropped off today, and I am a bit, well, more than a bit, upset!
These little guys were all in the same cage together, which isn't a problem except they are a mix of boys and girls and they aren't getting along together. There is a female that is VERY pregnant, and she is all bloody and has her face ripped up! I now have her alone in her own cage , I cleaned up her face and wounds and I am sure she is about to give birth any day now. There is a male that I am worried about , he is sluggish, lethargic. I don't see any obvious signs of illness other than his lack of energy. he doesn't have any wounds or lumps. First I'll see if he is dehydrated or hungry, I'll place him in his own cage , by himself and see if that helps him. If not, I'll contact the emergency vet. There are other girls too , which are very likely pregnant too.
I have also discovered one of the female that came from the 43 dwarf hamster drop off has given birth. I haven't counted all the babies yet , but I saw at least six. She obviously wasn't separate from the males soon enough, I took her away from the males the same day they arrived, but they must have already impregnated her. Hey, it only takes seconds for that to happen.
What is it about the dwarf hamsters that many people wind up with males and females when they thought they had one gender? then they wind up with litter after after litter, more hamsters than they ever wanted ..and truly don't want, they are desperate to get rid of them then. It has been happening all too often. I hope to find homes for all these darlings, they may have come into this world under sad and unwanted circumstances,but they deserve a loving home.
The syrian hamsters that are up for adoption, Tator Tot and Power Puff Girl, they really are nice hamsters but they have always been skittish. They try to hard to squirm out of hands and will even jump out of your hands. I've worked with them , but they don't seem to settle down while being handled. I know this lessens their chances of being adopted , since I understand that most people are looking for a handle able hamster to adopt. I have to say though that if someone is willing to give a hamster a home that is a bit of a challenge, it sure would brighten the world for Tator Tot or Power Puff Girl. They are loads of fun to watch at night as they climb and run in their wheels, they both love their exercise balls, especially Power Puff Girl, she'll climb right into the ball when you place it in front of you. They are beautiful long haired hamsters with an orangish coloring with white and black eyes, both are females.
I'll keep everyone updated on the newest litter of babies, the pregnant female with the wounds and the lethargic male.
plus I do have some happy adoption stories, I will tell everyone all about them in the next post.

No comments: